Experienced Python Engineer AI
Software Engineering, Data Science
Ghent, Belgium · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
You will enable the AI team to effectively build innovative, data-driven products and ship these to Silverfin’s global client base.
You will further evolve the current architecture and structure towards a more maintainable, scalable and performant state.
You’ll work closely with both data scientists and software engineers within your team, and across teams to deliver high-quality solutions.
What’s a Silverfin
At Silverfin we’re trying to apply the promise of software to the age-old industry of accounting. With our SaaS we’re automating a large chunk of the busy-work that accountants are currently handling manually, and are building new tools so they can provide better services to their customers. We aim to optimise their workflow in such a way that accountants can spend more time on the much more impactful and rewarding work of advising their customers, the business owners.
The good news is we’re succeeding in doing exactly that. Every week more than 15.000 financial service professionals use Silverfin to help and advise more than 400.000 businesses. Our customers adore us! The even better news is there’s still plenty left to work on, and that’s where we hope you come in.
The AI Team at Silverfin
The AI team at Silverfin currently consists of 9 people, Data Scientists and Engineers, more than half of them with a PhD in Sciences. It’s one of the strongest AI teams in Belgium. The team is part of the wider engineering organisation and a hub for innovation at Silverfin.
The team has been integrated after the acquisition of Boltzmann, one of the top AI companies in Belgium. As such the team has many years experience delivering AI models for clients and running successful AI products in accounting.
The AI team is responsible for a number of things: they’ve created and are maintaining two distinct products on the Silverfin Platform, both of which help accountants be more efficient and effective through the application of AI and machine learning. Next to that, they are also the driving force behind SAIL, Silverfin’s Artificial Intelligence Lab, where they conduct research on Silverfin’s next big innovations.
Besides that, it’s also a fun, helpful and supportive team that welcomes newcomers warmly. We flexibly balance working from home with working at the Ghent office.
- Figure out the best way to solve a customer or business problem in close collaboration with data scientists, a product manager, and other engineers
- Give the engineering perspective on potential ways of approaching a specific machine learning challenge
- Help shape the architecture of the AI stack in the Silverfin ecosystem
- Assist data scientists on how to implement best practice software engineering techniques in their work
- You have at least 4 years experience in professional software engineering, at least 6 months of that in Python
- Experience with modern agile software development, CI/CD, cloud applications
- You enjoy working in pairs or teams to produce quality solutions through coaching, clean code and guarding application architecture.
- You can communicate clearly in English, both written and verbally. You can work independently
- You code with reason and can justify the important decisions you made during development
- You can give in-depth, productive feedback during code reviews. While you appreciate the small stuff, you recognize bikeshedding and can avoid its pitfalls
- You're interested in getting to know our customers to find the best solution for a given challenge.
- You have a can-do mindset and value open communication. You thrive in an environment that embraces change and growth, and are committed to jell into a strong cross-functional team.
Nice to haves
- Experience delivering AI or Machine Learning solutions
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails is a strong plus(Silverfin’s non-AI Stack is built on those)
- Experience with JS frameworks
- Experience with Flask, Poetry, Pandas, etc.
- Experience working with large datasets and the challenges they bring
- Dutch language is a plus
- Experience in Fintech
- Accounting knowledge
What can you expect?
- The opportunity to help build a fast-paced, fintech scale-up in an international scene
- Regular team activities during and after work
- The ability to create, implement and grow with a dedicated team of people who are enthusiastic and passionate about what they do
- Wellbeing Days Off: Monthly Company-wide Wellbeing Days off in the current year
- Generous personal training allowance
- Cool office spaces in Ghent, London (Old Street / Shoreditch) and Amsterdam
- Nice salary, lots of flexibility and great additional benefits
- Endless supply of excellent coffee, tea, snacks, fresh fruits, and … drinks on Friday